So, here is the companion piece to my last men’s shirt refashion. I hope you recognise the blue linen… yes, it’s the bottom half! The top half started life as a medium men’s shirt in 100% of the most gorgeous cotton, it was so well made and the white buttons (which I used all of on this make) were beautiful. It was almost a shame to cut it up…almost. This dress was very much inspired by Grainline’s Alder shirtdress pattern which I do intend to make because I love her patterns and they always work really well for me.Construction – I removed the sleeves of the olive shirt and cut the bodice using McCall’s 6696. I agonised over the horizontal seam; should it sit above, at, or below the waist??? It’s always a danger with colour blocking like this that you end up looking cut in half and a bit stocky. I decided on ever so slightly above the waist. I’d love to hear your preferences on waistline placements for loose fitting dresses and tops BTW.I was thinking about adding fish eye darts around the waist but decided a simple box pleat at the centre back was enough to cinch in the waist without busying up the colour blocked seam.I had to redo the button placket on the bottom half linen section because the detail was different (you can see it here).I bound the armholes with drafted bias strips from the discarded sleeves. The original linen shirt had a straight hem but I added a slight curve up at the side seams which I think was a nice addition. You can see I’m sticking to my “loose waist=shorter hemline” rule a little more for this make (I know the last one was a midi length, still works though I reckon).
- When secondhand shopping for refashion pieces look for quality of fabric.
- Because the olive shirt was a medium I made sure to unpick the armhole stitches instead of cutting them off like I did on my first refashion. This makes sure you get the most out of the fabric, you never know, it may come in handy.
- Unpicking serged stitches is a massive drag.